I worked on a project for a large computer company. I started by creating a sitemap of their current web experience. Then I was asked to incorporate new information into the sitemap and develop a new layout for the website pages based on the new sitemap.
The original site was very fractured and did not present the right information to the right audiences.
Before I could begin restructuring the site I needed to audit the existing content to understand what was working and where gaps existed. My main goal was to evaluate how effectively the content was communicating to different user groups.
DEFINING THE CONTENT
My next step was to create a sitemap of the existing site structure to understand the current experience.
The sitemap was created using Axure and mapped to the existing urls to help keep track of the pages.
The new sitemap was a combination of old and new content.
The client wanted us to make recommendations for the new structure of their site as well as the hierarchy of their new content landing pages.
Once I had a thorough understanding of how the content would exist on the site I could move into wireframing.
I annotated the wireframe to present it to stakeholders and discuss the hierarchy choices that I made.